Thursday, September 7, 2017

California Cheap Skates Summer 1994.









Hardcore in '94.

The savvy skateboard consumer had a whole lot more choices for boards as the 1990s moved along. Birdhouse, Alien Workshop, Real, Stereo, Mad Circle, Foundation, Acme, and more were all doing well. It's interesting that this catalog would have been printed before Chocolate was available, as Girl was well represented. Slick decks were still kicking around. I don't think I had any of the boards in here because I was firmly committed to Consolidated when I was in college. The graphics for the most part are looking fairly sharp and often reflect the rider's image or personal tastes. Keep that thought in mind for tomorrow.

The truck selection had slimmed down and your only color choice was silver. I was riding Ventures and Indy at this point.

Wheels were hovering in the low to mid 40 mm range. A few brave brands started to drift to the upper 40s and even over the 50 mm mark. Santa Cruz was holding down the wheel biz with Direction, Speed Wheels, and SMA. Union, A-1 Meats, New School, and Acme were all fighting for your dollar bills. I think I was riding Consolidated wheels at this time. I'm surprised there aren't many offerings from Spitfire.

The Drake Jones cover photo is by Tommy Guerrero.

11 comments:

nonickname said...

At this time I would have been bouncing from Channel One, to Planet Earth to Alien Workshop with the oh so memorable Bo Turner with birds on it with the script "Chirp chirp means you're a dick". Amazing. Had the tracker T-4's from the catalogue, perfect for the skinny and flat decks of the time.

Rikku Markka said...

I didnt have any decks in this catalogue. I had just moved to a new city that had no skate shop and a small scene. The dudes in let me know to order from Beach Plus in Florida, because it only took two days to get you order, as opposed to the 5-7 business days from California. Because of that, I was riding a lot of Beach Plus blank decks, which were $30 with grip. And speaking of grip, Drake Jones's grip is Shorty's Squares, which was $10, just because it was cut into four squares. Amazing what marketing can make kids buy, until they learn to just get a ruler and cut a single sheet of grip into fourths.

Henry said...

You must be from the southeast. Beach Plus in Ft. Walton Beach was the go-to mail order.

Rikku Markka said...

Yeah, Kentucky.

Nacnud said...

I had the Thom hornung by maple. Really wanted dongers board but though 7.5 was too wide! So went for 7.38. I ride a 9 now. Probably with ventures

nonickname said...

Feel free to edit my ramblings when I make a hybrid like the "tracker t-4s"...Duncan is the 9 primarily for ramp? I'm riding a 8.125 now and am thinking of moving up to a 8.5 since my flip-trick game in my mid 40's is practically non-existent.

Justin said...

My friend had so many sets of those Trackers. He'd order a cheap complete because it was a better deal or something.

I'm at 8.125" I switched from an 8" a few years ago and have stuck with the larger size. It just feels right.

If a board is too wide, it reminds me of the bad stuff from the early 1990s - like how boards were heavier and harder to ollie on. This probably just a personal hang up and not really applicable to most people.

Henry said...

I'm a skinny board holdout. My friend owns a shop, and I told him I like a 7.75 board. He said, "We sell those to kids."

Nacnud said...

Nonickname I can't remember my last kick flip. I have a 3ft by 16ft mini in my shed that's pretty much all I skate these days. I have very little patience for scooters.

nonickname said...

so when is the first annual V.I.D. skate jam at Duncan's? and what's your drink of choice? (too old to end this with a winky face or whatever)

Unknown said...

Ahh, back then alwYs better to order co plete. Choice of any truck and wheel. Screw the deck, trucks last longest. Venture indy