Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Josh Kalis #4.



Heavy Metal.

Josh had been riding for Invisible with Jamie Thomas. When Jamie left, he went with him to Toy Machine. It wasn't long before Josh was abducted into the Alien Workshop since he was hanging out with the guys on the team. He stuck with the Workshop until leaving in 2009 to ride for Stevie Williams' DGK. Josh and Stevie have been friends from the early 1990s era of Love Park in Philadelphia so it was a change that made sense. He's been on DC Shoes for most of his pro career, too.

There's a slight possibility I'd never seen Heavy Metal, Toy Machine's second video, before last night. I picked up the Toy Machine DVD box set when it came out and when I was watching it, the video didn't seem familiar to me at all. I'm pretty sure I must have at least watched it once when I got it, but I might not have. You can start to see the influence Jamie Thomas had on things. There was less random stuff and the skateboarding was more organized. The soundtrack veered more toward oldies and classic rock with the exception of Ed skating to the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. It's also neat to see Ed cruising around doing every flip trick in the book, even some nollie and switch ones. The same goes for Jamie. Drake Jones has a few cameos.

Gabe Morford took the photo.

Transworld - May 1995 Volume 13 Number 5

No comments: