Friday, January 6, 2012

Pushead.






One of my art history teachers from college usually posts some piece of art each day on his Facebook page. One day he had a Pushead drawing. I told him that I had an old Pushead interview from Thrasher that I would get around to scanning and emailing to him. I finally did that this past weekend. I figured that since the interview does talk a lot about skateboarding that I would use it here as well.

Brian "Pushead" Schroeder is an artist who did most of the graphics for Zorlac. He's been skateboarding since the beginning of things. Pushead also does a lot of art for bands such as Metallica, The Misfits and Dr. Octagon, to name a few. He was in the band Septic Death and used to write a column for Thrasher called Puszone. It was about various hardcore and metal bands. Puszone also included some fiction and usually some artwork. Sometimes it scared the fourteen year old version of me.

The interview is by Mike Gitter. The photos are by Kristin Callahan and John G. Hall.

Note: Since the type for this interview was in a small and condensed font, I really darkened the text up to improve legibility. This made the small action photo much darker and redder than it was originally.

Thrasher - June 1991 Volume 11 Number 6

4 comments:

dflip said...

Never heard of this guy, His storys are great. Good post! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

^Never heard of him? Wow

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this article! I used to have this issue and was wanting to re-read it, and the version on Thrasher Magazine's website is more or less illegible.

Justin said...

Yeah, Thrasher's online archive leaves a lot to be desired in terms of resolution.